City of Rutledge Public Hearing/Regular Meeting April 16, 2024 PDF Print E-mail

CALL TO ORDER

Mayor Altznauer called to order the public hearing on the above date. Council members Brenda Thompson, Tony Sells, Brandie Owens and Adam Beckstine were present as were members of the public. Tara Cooner with Morgan County Planning and Zoning was also present.

PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE

Mayor Altznauer called for and led the Pledge of Allegiance.

MORGAN CO. PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT REQUESTS TEXT AMENDMENT TO ARTICLE 2 OF THE RUTLEDGE ZONING ORDINANCE REGARDING THE DEFINITION OF EVENT FACILITIES

Mayor Altznauer said he would turn it over to Tara Cooner to present the Staff Report to the council.

STAFF REPORT – TARA COONER

Tara Cooner addressed the Council and said Rutledge has had repeated inquiries into Event Facilities, which are prohibited in the commercial downtown because of parking issues. The definition of Event Facilities ties the use to some type of payment. People tried to get around by saying they are not charging admission. The County had the same definition that was based on compensation and encountered the same issues. The County changed the definition to be based on the gathering itself rather than payment. The proposed language is: A building, structure, or site where events for entertainment, education or gatherings are provided in which the facility is rented or otherwise provided regardless of payment, recompense, or remuneration. Brandie Owens asked how it would affect churches and the Rutledge Depot. Ms. Cooner said they are exempt. She also asked about the Rutledge Fair. Ms. Cooner said that is City sponsored.

PUBLIC COMMENTS IN FAVOR

Mayor Altznauer called for public comments in favor. There were none.

PUBLIC COMMENTS IN OPPOSITION

Mayor Altznauer called for public comments in opposition. There were none.

PUBLIC HEARING CLOSED

CONSIDERATION OF TEXT AMENDMENT TO ARTICLE 2 OF THE RUTLEDGE ZONING ORDINANCE REGARDING THE DEFINITION OF EVENT FACILITIES

Brandie Owens made motion to approve the text amendment to Article 2 of The Rutledge Zoning Ordinance regarding the definition of Event Facilities. Brenda Thompson seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.

CALL TO ORDER REGULAR MEETING

Mayor Altznauer called to order the regular meeting.

APPROVAL OF MINUTES

Tony Sells made motion to approve the minutes of the March 19, 2024, meeting as submitted. Adam Beckstine seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.

APPROVAL OF BUSINESS LICENSE – KELLY HOLLOWAY – HOLLOWAY’S FINE FRAMING INC., DBA / THE CUSTOM FRAME SHOP

Mayor Altznauer advised the council that a business license application was received from Kelly Holloway for Holloway’s Fine Framing located at 106 E. Main Street. He said it meets the conditions and is allowed. Brenda Thompson made motion to approve the business license submitted by Kelly Holloway for Holloways Fine Framing Inc., located at 106 E. Main Street.

Adam Beckstine Seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.

APPROVAL OF BUSINESS LICENSE APPLICATION – JENNIFER AVALOS – TELLO’S MEX GRILL

Mayor Altznauer said a business license application has been received from Jennifer Avalos for Tello’s Mex Grill located at 122 Fairplay Street. He said this is the former Yesterday’s Café and is allowed. Tony Sells asked if it is the same as the one in Covington. Brenda Thompson answered, I think it is. Tony Sells made motion to approve the business license submitted by Jennifer Avalos for Tello’s Mex Grill. Brandie Owens seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.

APPROVAL OF ALCOHOL LICENSE APPLICATION – TELLO’S MEX GRILL

Paperwork not received.

DISCUSSION OF HEAVY RAINFALL FLOODING ISSUES AND LATE FEES – KEITH WILSON

Keith Wilson addressed the Council and handed out folders. Mr. Wilson thanked the Mayor for the times he came out to his property to look at the flooding issues. Mr. Wilson said there are three factors causing the flooding, the land next to us, previous owners did not install culvert under the driveway and the road floods when it rains. The County came out in 2023 and I talked to Bruce in 2023. Chuck made recommendations that the swales be cleared out. Finally in 2024, Chuck recommended meeting with Mr. Herndon. He recommended an easement. He said I am simply asking City to follow some of the recommendations from the County. Mr. Herndon is not going to do anything.

Mayor Altznauer stated that I agree you have a problem, but what has the City done to cause this? Mr. Wilson said the City has not properly maintained the swales. Tony Sells asked how often does this happen? Mr. Wilson said during heavy rainfall and it is getting worse. He said Chuck recommended that it go to Dixie Hwy. Brenda Thompson asked is that a new driveway. Mr. Wilson answered yes, with no culvert. Brenda Thompson said what is the first step you are willing to take. He answered to first see what the City will do. Brenda Thompson said there are no ditches is that the City’s responsibility. Mayor Altznauer said I do not think it is. Mayor Altznauer advised Mr. Wilson, the City would send all the information to John Nix, the city’s attorney, to get his recommendation.

Mr. Wilson said the late fee issue is the post office has been running late. I looked for the water bill and it never came. The bill was past due and I asked could they credit the late fee. I was told the city would go broke. He said I paid both bills that day. Mayor Altznauer thanked Mr. Wilson for coming and said he would send the information to the City Attorney.

Adam Beckstine made motion to adjourn at 6:27 pm. Tony Sells seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.

ADJOURN

___________________________________ _________________________________

Debbie Kilgore City Clerk Bruce Altznauer Mayor

Search

Calendar of Events

E-Verify ID # 185591

Date of Authorization

01-29-09

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack