City Council Regular Meeting November 17, 2020 PDF Print E-mail

CALL TO ORDER

Mayor Bruce Altznauer called to order the regular meeting of the Rutledge City Council on the above date. Council members Brenda Thompson, Anthony Sells and Adam Beckstine were present as were members of the public. Council member Brandie Owens was absent.

PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE

Mayor Altznauer called for and led the Pledge of Allegiance.

APPROVAL OF MINUTES

Brenda Thompson made motion to approve the October 20, 2020 meeting minutes as submitted. Tony Sells seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.

BUSINESS LICENSE APPROVAL – JENNIFER BUZBEE / SARAH GHANN

Mayor Altznauer advised the Council that a business license application had been submitted by Jennifer Buzbee and Sara Ghann. The business is Over Yonder Outpost located at 141 Fairplay Street. It is retail sales for outdoor equipment, hunting and fishing supplies etc. He stated that it is allowed. Tony Sells made motion to approve Over Yonder Outpost located at 141 Fairplay Street. Adam Beckstine seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.

MICHAEL COBB – ELECTRONIC PAYMENTS

Michael Cobb addressed the City Council and stated he has lived here for 3 years in Indian Creek Subdivision and has a job in law enforcement. Mr. Cobb said he has had two issues with our current payment process. He advised when he first moved, he paid by check and his check was lost and he received a late fee. The other issue was he paid on-line and it got here late and received a late fee. He stated that he spoke to Polly in October. He said I just want to discuss other options of payment than just check or money order. I called other cities of this size, they offer bank draft, credit and debit card payments and it is generally 2% of the transactions and they chose not to pass it on to the customer. In addition to that I talked to companies that set up on-line payments on websites. I gathered the information and can forward it to you. Mayor Altznauer said the issue is the fee we would have to add and it would affect a lot of people. I do not want to raise rates. We have a lot of people on a fixed income. We just recently installed all new water meters. We are going to have to do it eventually. Mr. Cobb said there are some cost-effective systems and the customers may have the option of absorbing that cost.

DISCUSSION OF RUTLEDGE MUNICIPAL COURT REVENUE / EXPENSES

Mayor Altznauer stated that he would turn this over to Debbie Kilgore the City Clerk. The Clerk advised the Council that she had put a five-year history of the revenues and expenses of the Rutledge Municipal Court in their packets. Mr. Cobb was also given a copy. She stated we have lost money every year. I understand that the court’s purpose is not to make money but we should not be losing money either. She said she had discussed the issue with Judge Merritt and he stated that he had been thinking about talking about the very issue. He said Rutledge no longer has a police department and really did not have a need for the court. He stated that Rutledge would still get the same coverage from the Sheriff’s Department without a court. Judge Merritt and City Attorney John Nix both stated they did not think it would have to go to the legislature. Debbie Kilgore advised the council that she would find out all the steps needed to be taken to do this. Brenda Thompson made motion to suspend the Rutledge Municipal Court. Tony Sells seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.

ANNOUNCEMENTS / EVENTS

Mayor Altznauer said Christmas in the Country is this weekend. Tony Sells will be Santa and we will ride all the streets in town in the old police car and throw out candy. He stated this is a recreation department project headed up by Jennifer Buzbee. I would also like to advise you that we have had some merchants requesting new Christmas decorations. Brenda Thompson said someone needs to get the manger scene up.

Brenda Thompson made motion to adjourn at 8:04 PM. Adam Beckstine seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.

ADJOURN

___________________________________ ___________________________________

Debbie Kilgore City Clerk Bruce Altznauer Mayor

Search

Calendar of Events

E-Verify ID # 185591

Date of Authorization

01-29-09

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack