Regular Meeting - September 16, 2013 PDF Print E-mail

CALL TO ORDER

Mayor Knight called to order the regular meeting of the Rutledge City Council on the above date. Council members Brenda Thompson, Bill Spann and James Bratcher were present as were members of the public. Council member Chad Cook was absent.

AGENDA AMENDMENT

Mayor Knight advised the council that the agenda would need to be amended to add executive session for the purpose of discussing litigation. Brenda Thompson made motion to amend the agenda to add executive session. Bill Spann seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Mayor Knight informed the council of upcoming events as follows: Breco Realty hosting business after hours at The Falls Subdivision in Rutledge on September 19th, Rutledge Pharmacy Ribbon cutting September 25th and a Department of Revenue town hall meeting September 24th.

APPROVAL OF MINUTES

Brenda Thompson made motion that the minutes of the August 19, 2013 meeting be approved as submitted. Bill Spann seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.

WATER VALVE REPLACEMENT, INSTALLATION AND LOOPS

Mayor Knight advised the council that Chad Whitley had submitted a list of water projects that need to be done hopefully by the end of this year. He stated that valves need to be installed at James Street and McDonough as soon as possible. He said we need to be planning to budget looping the line in the areas of West Dixie Hwy to West Main Street, Nunnally Street out to Walter Shepherd, Chilton Woods allowing it to loop back to Newborn Road and Davis Academy. Also Fears road to Davis Academy and Centennial depending on the growth that might take place due to Baxter and other businesses that may be coming to our area.

NEW PARK ON FAIRPLAY – LINDA BRATCHER

Linda Bratcher addressed the council and said she just had some questions regarding the park. She said what is the timeline you expect to be finished. Mayor Knight said the asphalt should be going down for the tennis courts this week depending on the weather. Hopefully it will be finished in a month. The ballpark is ready to be used now. Mrs. Bratcher asked what about the bleachers. The mayor said we had some bleachers over there and they were not added in as part of the project. Mrs. Bratcher said the walking trail, it does not seem complete and some is washed away. The gravel trail is on the inside of the field in the fence and as you walk down it stops and there is the mulch all washed away and it is going to need to be cleaned out. The mayor stated the city will have to maintain all of that. Mrs. Bratcher said what about the landscaping, there is no shrubbery. The plan shows landscaping with junipers on the hill. Spencer said we added that it was not part of the project and the walking trail was always mulch. Sherry Kelly addressed the council and said she lived next door to the park and that people were using the bathroom in their driveway and leaving beer cans. Craig Dukes addressed the mayor and said you told me before this started that there would be a fence beside my property. The mayor responded I have never talked to you much less told you I would put up a fence. Sherry Kelly stated I came to you and asked that you not put in the basketball court. There were always problems before with the basketball. People are going to the restroom in the yard, it is human waste. Mayor Knight advised her to call the police anytime she saw problems, if you could take a picture it would help. If someone is caught doing that they will be put on the sex offenders list. Call 911 if you ever see anything like that. Mrs. Kelly asked will there be a port john put there. He said at this time there are no plans for a bathroom but I would not be opposed to getting a port john. Maybe we need to look at running a fence along there. We will look into getting a fence and a port john. This is the first I have heard of these problems. I will call Sheriff Markley and talk to him and tell him what to look for so that the park is not a nuisance for you. James Bratcher said we need to post a sign maybe saying the park opens a 10:00am and closes at 7:00pm and talk to the sheriff and they can ride through there. Mayor Knight said we need to address from this point forward. You can come up here and talk to Debbie if you need to. Give me a month to get some things worked out. We will come up with a solution. Do not hesitate to call 911 if there are problems. Linda Bratcher asked if the ballpark was just for Rutledge. The mayor said no it is first come first serve. It is for everybody. Ed Hogan will be doing the scheduling. We are playing this by ear. If we have problems then we will come up with something. Please just everyone use common sense.

RECREATION ALLOTMENT – ED HOGAN

Joellen Artz stated that Ed Hogan had to leave and would like to have his request moved to next month’s meeting.

EXECUTIVE SESSION

Brenda Thompson made motion to exit regular session for the purpose of entering into executive session. Bill Spann seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried. Bill Spann made motion to exit executive session. Brenda Thompson seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.

One legal issue discussed no action taken.

Bill Spann made motion to adjourn. Brenda Thompson seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.

MEETING ADJOURNED

Last Updated on Tuesday, October 01 2013 17:28

Search

Calendar of Events

E-Verify ID # 185591

Date of Authorization

01-29-09

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack