Regular Meeting - January 17, 2012 PDF Print E-mail

CALL TO ORDER

Mayor Knight called to order the regular meeting of the Rutledge city council on the above date.  Council members Brenda Thompson, Chad Cook, Bill Spann and James Bratcher were present as were members of the public.

APPROVAL OF MINUTES

Brenda Thompson made motion that the minutes of the December 19, 2011 meeting be approved as submitted.  Bill Spann seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.

NUNNALLY ROAD – NEIL FITZGERALD

Mayor Knight stated that Mr. Fitzgerald wanted to address the issue of the dirt portion of Nunnally Road being closed.  Mayor Knight said I would like to state for the record that I am of the opinion that the road stay closed.  He said that he gave Mr. Shepherd permission to put the gate up.  He said it would be open during the day and closed at night.  He advised that this was four years ago.  As time went on the road bed got bad and Mark started leaving the gate shut.  Mr. Fitzgerald gave a timeline of events starting with the fact that Mark had some theft and as a result he got permission to put up the gates.  He said that it was a violation to do so.  He said by doing that you have denied the rights of others to use the street.  He advised that after it was closed the county spent $5,000.00 improving the dirt portion on Nunnally Street.  The mayor advised at this point that this was not a request from the city to do that work. Mr. Fitzgerald stated that it was because of drainage issues from Nunnally to neighbors in the county.  Blue Chilton stated that he knew who called the county on the water drainage issues and they came out and cleaned out the ditches and hauled loads of dirt to Mark and to himself.  He said they graveled the road and it was in the best condition it ever was.  This was three days after the gate went up.  I wanted some work done on our road and was told they did not have the financing.  Mayor Knight stated that the city had nothing to do with the work the county did the request was not from the city.  Blue Chilton stated that later they did come out and put in a culvert on their road.  Ryan Hyde addressed the council and stated that a request about the water problem came from Paul Ogelsby and another resident on Chilton Woods Road that were getting flooded out.  Commissioner Ainsley told them the county would help out and divert the water to the pond.  Neil Fitzgerald stated that the Shepherds were the only ones that benefited.  Mayor Knight said I disagree, apparently the residents that had the water problem benefited also.  He stated I was using common sense.  The Shepherds own the land on both sides of the road.  The gate was being locked at night and open during the day.  Deanna Glardin stated that it was the first couple of years, now they are not.

Mayor Knight stated that we have some choices but I have made the decision to leave it closed until it is decided.  We need to decide if we want to spend $10,000.00 to fix the road or we can close it for public use.  At the present time it is unsafe for public use.  The question is do we spend $10,000.00 or leave it closed for public use.  Neil Fitzgerald

stated there is nothing unsafe.  It is a dirt road.  Mayor Knight stated that if two cars can not meet safely it is unsafe and the city would be liable.  Neil stated he was raised on dirt roads and there weren’t problems.  Council member Cook stated we do not live in a world like that any more.  I work in insurance and if the road does not meet code then there is a definite liability to the city.  Mayor Knight said I have already made the statement that the road is unsafe and I was going by the counties assessment of the road and I can not open it.

James Bratcher stated we should bring the road up to code and open it. Mayor Knight said are you going to make a motion.  Neil Fitzgerald said I will volunteer to go to the county and ask for help.  James Bratcher made motion to spend the $10,000.00 to bring Nunnally Road up to code, open it up to the public and ask the county to maintain it.  Bill Spann seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.  Blue Chilton thanked the council and said he thought they made a good decision.  We all can now enjoy it.  That road has been there for a hundred years.  Mayor Knight advised the road would stay closed until it could be fixed and maintained.

DISCUSSION OF PLANNING COMMISSION REPRESENTATIVE

Mayor Knight advised that the person that represented Rutledge had moved out of the county and left a vacancy to be filled.  He said the term left is 1 year.  He talked to the citizens present and said we need a volunteer.  He said if anyone is interested please call Debbie at city hall and she can give them some information.  He said that there will be six hours of training.

SPEED HUMP DISCUSSION

Mayor Knight advised that he was waiting on more information.

CITY TRUCK / AERATOR REPAIRS

Mayor Knight went over a list of repairs totaling $1150.00 for the city truck and asked for approval to go ahead and fix it.  James Bratcher made motion to spend the $1150.00 to repair the city truck.  Bill Spann seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.  Mayor Knight advised the council that an aerator at the oxidation pond needed a new overload heater installed.  The cost would be $770.00.  Brenda Thompson made motion to approve the quote for $770.00 to repair the aerator.  James Bratcher seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.

CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS PROCEDURES

Mayor Knight stated that a complaint had been made about the Christmas decorations being taken down to early.  He said some want them left up until January 6th.  Mrs. Beers addressed the council and stated that she had called about the decorations.  She said the town looks so blah and the merchants wanted them up.  She said people travel during this time and some celebrate the twelve days of Christmas.  Mayor Knight stated that we would leave them up a little longer but that they would be taken down before New Years Day.

LETTER GRWA FOR EPA FUNDING

Mayor Knight stated that Georgia Rural Water gets funding from the EPA for which they use to help and assist smaller cities.  They are asking that we all sign a letter in support of them.  He said Debbie has the letters if you would like to sign one in support.

APPROVAL FOR ALCOHOL LICENSE

Mayor Knight informed the council that Yesterday’s Café and the Park and Shop had turned in their application and all their attachments for their beer and wine license.  Brenda Thompson made motion to approve the alcohol license for the Park and Shop.  Bill Spann seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.  Chad Cook made motion to approve the alcohol license for Yesterday’s Café.  James Bratcher seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.

Chad Cook made motion to adjourn.  Brenda Thompson seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.

MEETING ADJOURNED.

Last Updated on Tuesday, February 28 2012 13:25

Search

Calendar of Events

E-Verify ID # 185591

Date of Authorization

01-29-09

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack