Regular Meeting - May 16, 2011 PDF Print E-mail

CALL TO ORDER

Mayor Knight called to order the regular meeting of the Rutledge city council on the above date.  Council members Brenda Thompson, Tom Strott and James Bratcher were present as were members of the public.  Council member Bill Spann was absent.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Mayor Knight announced the fair date of May 21st and asked that it be mentioned in the paper.

MINUTES

Brenda Thompson made motion that the minutes of the April 18, 2011 meeting be approved as submitted.  Tom Strott seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried,

GARBAGE CONTRACT

Mayor Knight advised the council that the garbage contract with Republic Services was basically the same as the old one at a cost of $8.75 for the first cart and $7.50 for any additional carts.  Tom Strott made motion to approve the agreement for solid waste collection services with Republic Services, Inc.  James Bratcher seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.

DOWNTOWN PARK MAINTENANCE – TOMY GRESHAM

Mr. Gresham addressed the council and stated that he owned his own company that specializes in fertilization and weed control.  He said I live on Doster Road and I would like to offer my services for free.  I have three small girls and they love to play in the park and I would like to give back to the community.  Mayor Knight asked what if you sprayed and it kills everything.  Mr. Gresham said that he had been in business for twenty years.  Tom asked what if the kids go barefoot after you spray.  Mr. Gresham said there is no immediate danger as long as it is dry.  He said I will be spraying early and will put signs stating that it has been sprayed.  Mayor Knight asked when he would start and he said June.  He said fall is the most important time.  Mayor Knight said it sounds good to us.  Tom Strott stated just get back to us.

WORK SESSION FOR BUDGET

Debbie Rutherford advised the council that the work session would not be held on the 17th.  She stated that she is waiting for price quotes and the auditor had not yet entered the closing entries for last year.  She advised that she would call them as soon as possible to set one up.

APPROVAL TO AMEND ALCOHOL LICENSE ORDINANCE

Mayor Knight advised the council that the clerk just wanted approval to talk to the city attorney about amending the ordinance so that when the owners of the stores renew their license they will not have to be fingerprinted every year.  It would only be required for new applicants to be fingerprinted.  The city council agreed to the city clerk working with the city attorney on amending the alcohol ordinance

DISCUSSION ON SPEED HUMP PLACEMENT AND TYPE

The members of the council looked at pictures of the speed humps that the traffic engineer recommended.  Tom Strott asked what the cost of it was.  Mayor Knight said it will be around $1500.00 to $2000.00.  We can check into the price of the asphalt speed humps also.  Brenda Thompson said we can call someone in Bostwick and find out.

MEETING ADJOURNED

Last Updated on Tuesday, June 21 2011 13:27

Search

Calendar of Events

E-Verify ID # 185591

Date of Authorization

01-29-09

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack