Regular Meeting - February 22, 2011 PDF Print E-mail

CALL TO ORDER

Mayor Knight called to order the regular meeting of the Rutledge City Council on the above date.  Council members Brenda Thompson, Tom Strott, Bill Spann and James Bratcher were present as were members of the public.

APPROVAL OF MINUTES

Tom Strott made motion to approve the minutes of the January 18, 2011 meeting as submitted.  Bill Spann seconded all voted in favor and motion carried. 

SPEED BUMPS – PAM JONES

Pam Jones addressed the council and thanked everyone for being here.  She informed the council that the speed bumps on Fairplay had greatly affected her family.  She advised the council that she did not start asking a week ago to have the speed bumps removed.  It started back when we were at the hospital but it fell on deaf ears.  She said that she came to city hall and cried and was ashamed of some of the things that she had done.  She said that city hall told her that the speed bumps cold not be moved until the council met.  She stated she came back on the 4th of January and begged again.  Just because Paul is back at work does not mean that he is well.  She said she had consulted with two attorneys and said these should have been researched.  Ms. Jones handed out copies of information regarding speed bumps and studies that had been done.  She said I want these moved.  She referred to the Americans with Disabilities Act and then showed a handicap tag and sticker.  Ms. Jones then read several emails from people out of town in regards to the speed bumps.  She stated the humps like in Bostwick are okay.  Paul’s car can go between the speed bumps and if he were stopped for that he would win because they are illegal.  I would like to see a permanent moratorium on the speed bumps.  She said Paul and Jerry Couch fought these years ago.  She then read another email from Hank Wise who does not live in the county. She stated that her parents hit the speed bump and almost wrecked.  She advised that her attorney measured the bump and the width caused an additional hazard.  Ms. Jones then reads personal injury law.  She told the council they have broken her heart and stomped on it, you might convince me to stay if you show you care.  Ms. Jones then read an email from a Delana Powell who does not live in the city and remarked that we did not reply to her.  Ms. Jones then reads a summary, speaks of ADA, car clubs and expensive trailers and horses going over the speed bumps.  She stated I feel that the city should have done their homework before they did this.  Ms. Jones told the mayor that he had done a wonderful job on other things for the town.  Ms. Jones closes with a verse from the bible and said she could be out of here in a matter of days.

Mayor Knight advised Ms. Jones that the city had checked with DOT and they gave us recommendations and compared it to our speed bumps within DOT regulations.  He said the council discussed the speed bumps and we put them down.  He said Debbie the clerk advised him that Ms. Jones had requested they be taken up and I advised her that all we could do is put it on the agenda and that a decision could not be made without the council.  He stated that yes he and Pam had discussed it and it was stated that it would have to be on the agenda.  Mayor Knight stated I will take the blame for that.  He said my decision was to wait for the city council to decide, right or wrong that was the decision I made.

Stella Garland addressed the council and stated it is against the law to come to a complete stop at a speed bump.  I have to come to a complete stop and I am already feeling the pain. 

Mayor Knight said I will take this information to the attorney, if we are doing something illegal they will all be taken up, but right now we are dealing with opinions.

Tom Strott told Ms. Jones he was sorry for the pain that Paul was in but he had lived in Rutledge for 15 years on Fairplay and his son TJ was almost killed by a lady speeding.  He said there is a serious problem with speeders.  He stated I am going to vote for speed bumps but maybe we can do something in the meantime.  Jerry Couch stated that before they fought it because there was so much negativity, but I have to say things are a lot different today than they were several years ago.  He said it is a jolt to emergency vehicles but I do not disagree about the speeders, it is bad.

Bill Spann stated we need to do the legal thing first and spend a little time with the attorneys and the next step will be the end of it.

Tom Strott made motion to relocate the speed bump on Fairplay.  Brenda Thompson seconded, Bill Spann voted for, James Bratcher voted against and motion carried with a constitutional majority.  Ms. Jones exited the meeting before the motion was finished.

APPROVAL OF DNR PARKS & HISTORIC SITES DIVISION –LAND AND WATER CONSERVATION FUND PROJECT AGREEMENT

Tom Strott made motion to approve the project agreement accepting the specific terms of the grant.  James Bratcher seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.

RESOLUTION TO ADOPT THE NORTHEAST GEORGIA REGIONAL SOLID WASTE MANAGEMENT PLAN 2009 SHORT TERM WORK PROGRAM (STWP) UPDATE

James Bratcher made motion to approve the resolution to adopt the solid waste management 2009 short term work program update.  Brenda Thompson seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.

CDBG-PROJECT SUPPORT RESOLUTION / FINANCIAL COMMITMENT RESOLUTION / CERTIFICATION OF NO CONFLICT OF INTEREST-APPLYING FOR FUNDS TO REPLACE JAMES ST. LIFT STATION-BRENDA THOMPSON

Mayor Spencer Knight stated that his brother owned duplexes in this area where the city is applying for the grant.  He advised that he was going to recuse himself relative to any discussion, decision or vote associated with the grant.  He stated that the Mayor Pro-Tem Brenda Thompson would be presiding over any and all meeting agenda matters related to the grant application and project. 

Brenda Thompson explained that the city is applying for a grant to replace the sewer lift station on James Street.  She stated that the city held a public hearing Wednesday the 16th on the issue.  She said that the engineer was still working on the final figures of the cost to replace it and the estimate will be between $180,000.00 to $200,000.00.  She advised that the city will be making a financial commitment of $20,000.00 towards the project should we get the grant.  Tom Strott made motion to adopt the project support resolution and make a financial commitment of $20,000.00 towards the CDBG grant project.  James Bratcher seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.

JAMES CABLE - LEASE AGREEMENT

Mayor Knight was called back to the meeting at this time and advised that the lease agreement had been sent to the city attorney and would be on the agenda again as soon as the attorney had looked over it and gave us the go ahead.

BROADBAND GRANT INFORMATION

Mayor Knight advised the council that Demetris Gettis had called and stated that his request for funding had been denied.  He said Mr. Gettis thanked everyone for their support.

NEXCHECK PROPOSAL-ONLINE PAYMENT OPTIONS

Mayor Knight advised that this was a company that offered the city a way to take online payments.  He stated that the city clerk had met with him and wanted to check into it further to make sure it was at no charge to the city.  James Bratcher made motion to authorize the mayor to sign off on the contract if it is at no charge to the city.  Bill Spann seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.

ROAD STRIPING QUOTES

Mayor Knight went over the quotes for road striping and stated that the lowest was Brown’s Asphalt in the amount of $6,950.00.  Tom Strott made motion to accept the quote for the striping from Brown Asphalt for $6,950.00.  Brenda Thompson seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.

CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS-ADDITIONAL WREATHS

Mayor Knight advised that the quote approved last month only included four wreaths.  He said the city clerk had gotten a quote for four more wreaths so there could be some on the other side of the road.  He stated that brings the quote up to $7,235.00.  James Bratcher made motion to accept the cost for the four additional wreaths.  Tom Strott seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.

RESOLUTION TO PARTNER WITH GEORGIA DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE TO ENSURE PROPER PAYMENT OF SALES TAX

Brenda made motion to approve the resolution to partner with the state to ensure proper payment of sales tax monies.  Bill Spann seconded,  Tom Strott voted against, James Bratcher voted against, Mayor Knight voted for and motion carried three to two.

EXECUTIVE SESSION

Brenda Thompson made motion to leave regular session for the purpose of entering executive session to discuss litigation.  James Bratcher seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.

James Bratcher made motion to exit executive session and enter regular session.  Bill Spann seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.

Tom Strott made motion to hire an appraiser to establish the value of the property of the easement to the city barn next to the alley.  James Bratcher seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.

Meeting Adjourned.

Last Updated on Wednesday, March 23 2011 12:40

Search

Calendar of Events

E-Verify ID # 185591

Date of Authorization

01-29-09

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack